As an international brand company with German roots, we at RECARO pursue the vision of improving the performance of people in motion like no other. In keeping with our tradition, Safety, Quality, and Ingenious Design are at the core of all that we do. This allows us to exceed the expectations of our customers every day and make performance something you can feel: Feel Performance.
In addition to RECARO Holding and RECARO Child Safety, our corporate group also includes RECARO Aircraft Seating headquartered in Schwäbisch Hall. We develop, produce, and market innovative seats for economy and business class, which meet the highest standards when it comes to comfort, lightweight construction, and design. As an internationally renowned brand, we are one of the world’s three largest suppliers of aircraft seats with our premium products. To enhance our team, we are looking to fill the following position at our site in Fort Worth at the earliest possible date:
Platform Engineering Manager
Job ID: 2018-1412
Responsible for management of concept to completion for assigned product line customer programs and day to day activities of engineers in the platform engineering department. Responsible for all technical aspects of the assigned product line aircraft seats, including their mechanical design, electrical integration, regulatory compliance, OEM and customer requirements. Plans and executes customer development programs through personnel training and development, capacity expansion and addition of new skills and capabilities as required, in accordance with the company strategy. This position will report to the Business Class Senior Manager.
- The management of all Platform Engineering functions of the Design Organization, including Project Engineering, Verification Engineering, Design Engineering and Electrical Engineering.
- Oversee the development, documentation, implementation and continual improvement of Platform Engineering processes. Measure the effectiveness of the Platform Engineering processes through the tracking of Key Performance Indicators. Devise and implement corrective action measures to correct issues as they arise as reflected by the KPIs.
- Structure the Platform Engineering function through the assignment of Lead Engineers and other personnel so as to ensure clear responsibilities and accountability, as well as optimum efficiency and productivity. Manage and participate in the hiring and training of new Platform Engineering personnel as well as provide thorough and objective performance evaluations of all direct reports.
- Continuously analyze, communicate and plan the Platform Engineering department capacity requirements, in light of current and anticipated workload.
- Maintain an in-depth understanding and current knowledge of the technical requirements driving the development of the RECARO Aircraft Seating products, including requirements from the OEMs and other regulatory authorities.
- Ensure all processes and procedures are documented, in compliance with the company’s ISO9001/AS9100 certification.
- Assist in the development of the departmental budget. Responsible for maintaining compliance with the department and program budgets once approved.
- Work in close cooperation with other Department Managers to ensure proper and timely Engineering support is planned and provided in support of company programs, and resolve issues as they arise. Ensure that Engineering tasks in support of company programs are clearly understood and fulfilled on schedule.
- Manage the interface between the Platform Engineering department and the RECARO operational departments (i.e. Procurement, Production, Quality…etc.) to ensure concurrent engineering principles are understood and applied to achieve optimum producibility and manufacturability of RECARO products.
- Liaise with airlines, FAA/EASA, installers and suppliers to ensure timely project completion. Ensure maintenance of accurate Certification records. Develop tools, as necessary, to track deliverables, testing, compliance findings so as to assure on-time completion of projects.
- Coordinate with Global Engineering management teams to ensure departmental processes are aligned and optimized as required, and ensure Best Practices are developed and implemented.
- Define the Platform Engineering department training requirements, develop and implement a training program to ensure training requirements are fulfilled.
- Provide input to the program risk analysis and risk management process to address technical risks. Devise risk mitigation actions. Ensure risk mitigation activities are conducted in accordance with the department procedures and risk mitigation plans.
- Support Senior Management in the implementation of departmental strategic initiatives.
- A Bachelor degree (BS) in Mechanical, Aerospace, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent experience is required. A Master’s Degree in a business (MBA) or technical field (MS) is highly desirable.
- Must have a minimum of 6 years’ experience in an Engineering position in the aerospace industry, including 2 years’ experience in an Engineering or Project Management leadership role in the field of commercial aircraft interior products.
- The position requires an in depth understanding of FAA / EASA Part 21, Part 25 Certification procedures for commercial aircraft seats, including the TSO (Technical Standard Order) process.
- Basic knowledge of CAD systems, dynamic and static testing principles, mechanical design, drafting and tolerance, Electrical Engineering, rapid prototyping is required.
- Must have basic knowledge of manufacturing processes used in the aircraft seat industry, including machining, forging, casting, plastic vacuum forming and injection molding, sheet metal fabrication and forming, and assembly.
- Must be well versed in concurrent engineering principles, as well as design for manufacturability, maintenance and design to cost principles.
- Proven track record of meeting commitments.
- Advanced leadership and management skills are required, along with proven team building and motivational skills.
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment is required, as well as the ability to anticipate technical issues and develop effective risk mitigation plans.
- Ability to multi-task and operate in a fast-paced, high pressure environment. Excellent organization skills are essential.
- Must have excellent internal and external communication and presentation skills.
You will be a perfect fit for our team if you are enthusiastic about innovative products, enjoy setting ambitious goals, love taking on responsibility, are motivated by an environment of appreciative, trusting collaboration, and have a strong creative drive. In return, we promise to give you the freedom to develop your potential with individual development opportunities and will provide you with the necessary competencies to increase your personal responsibility so that you can face the future together with RECARO.
Our recruiting team looks forward to receiving your application. Your personal information will be kept confidential. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business needs.